- Hits: 928
Stuffed shoulder of duiker
By Johan van de Giessen
• Debone both shoulders.
• Rub a little olive oil over the inside of the shoulder, and season lightly with freshly ground pepper and salt.
• Spread the stuffing over the inside of the shoulder, roll it up and tie it securely.
• Rub olive oil onto the outside of the meat and season with freshly ground pepper and salt to taste.
• Cook over a cool fire for about 30 to 45 minutes, turning frequently.
• Alternatively, cut a large onion into one centimetre-thick rings, lay these on the bottom of a flat-bottomed cast iron pot, and brown the shoulders on the outside over a hot fire. Place the shoulders on top of the onion rings, add some red wine, place on the fire and cover with a lid. Ensure that there is always a little red wine simmering in the bottom. Cook for about 30 minutes.
• Fry the Jalapeno and Peppadew in butter. When they start to turn brown, turn down the heat and add more butter.
• Add the onion and cook until it becomes a soft, golden brown. Add sherry and allow to simmer for about two minutes. Remove from heat.
• Fry the mushrooms over a medium heat in butter until they have reduced to about half their size.
• Add coarse salt to taste, turn down the heat and stir in the onion mix, cover with a lid and leave on the heat for about five more minutes, stirring occasionally. If it looks like the mixture is drying out, add a little butter.
• When removed from heat, break in the feta cheese and mix.
Stuffing (for two shoulders)
• One small to medium onion, finely chopped.
• One packet of medium-sized button mushrooms, cut into quarters (other mushrooms can also be used).
• One mild Jalapeno chilly, finely chopped.
• Four hot Peppadew peppers, finely chopped.
• One round disc of feta cheese.
• 30 ml sherry.